Friday, May 29, 2009

Mother


I decided to make myself a Mother's Day and Birthday present to celebrate being  "A MOTHER"!  I used a heart brooch that was made by my Grandpa Toar for  his mother, my Great Grandma Ivory.  My Grandfather was a tool and die maker/machinist by trade and photographer and "Rock Hounding" were his hobbies.  He fashioned this brooch out of metal heart with a plastic-like heart that he carved "Mother" into and welded a cut out of an old coin to the front and used  an actual safety pin on the back as the pin as a fastener.  I have had this pin for some time now and realized it needed to be made into a necklace.  I chose to use black glass beads, vintage rhinestone rondelles, black glass roasary chain, oxidized sterling silver chain and wire and black fresh water pearls.  I think it turned out quite lovely.  An heirloom to pass onto my daughter Ivory.

No comments: